Seeing the alarm clock in the morning, applying make-up, shaving, and even seeing the faces of friends and loved ones can be taken for granted by those who have perfect vision without the help of contact lenses or eyeglasses. Smudges and scratches make seeing difficult when wearing eyeglasses and can be a constant annoyance for the wearer. Contact lenses can be irritating to the eyes and can tear easily. Thankfully, there is an alternative that is effective at eliminating the need for eyeglasses and contact lenses altogether. Millions of people have used LASIK to correct their vision and eliminate their need for eyeglasses and contact lenses successfully.
LASIK is used to correct the vision errors myopia (nearsightedness), astigmatism, and hyperopia (farsightedness) and has a high success rate. Many of our patients benefit from LASIK and achieve perfect or near perfect vision without the aid of eyeglasses or contact lenses. While there are common LASIK side effects, for the majority of our patients in Portland, LASIK side effects are temporary.
As with any procedure, it is important to have realistic expectations. Most patients will be able to see without the aid of eyeglasses and contact lenses soon after their LASIK surgery, but not all. Some patients may still require eyeglasses, contact lenses, or reading glasses after LASIK surgery. While great care is taken during the treatment process, there are risks involved in LASIK surgery. We will happily answer any questions you may have. We customize each LASIK treatment to the individual patient to ensure optimal results. With advances in technology, LASIK is now safer than ever.
Common LASIK Side Effects
For the majority of patients in Portland, custom LASIK side effects will only be temporary and will subside within days or weeks of the surgery. Some patients may experience side effects for a few weeks or months after their LASIK surgery, with a small few experiencing side effects for a much longer period of time. We will take great care to minimize your risk of developing complications after LASIK surgery. Halos, glare, difficulty driving at night, fluctuating vision, dry eye, and sensitivity to light are among the common LASIK side effects experienced by our patients.
- Halos: Halos are the appearance of rings around bright light.
- Glare: Glare refers to difficulty seeing in the presence of bright light such as headlights.
- Difficulty driving at night: Patients experiencing halos or glare may not be able to see clearly enough to drive during periods of low light such as nighttime or in fog.
- Fluctuating vision: Fluctuating vision after LASIK is quite common. Fortunately, for most patients, this side effect will disappear two to three weeks after the surgery.
- Dry eye: Dry eye is one of the most common LASIK side effects experienced by patients. Patients with dry eye express the feeling of something in their eyes. Dry eye can cause itchiness, fluctuating vision, and blurry vision.
- Sensitivity to light: Patients may experience slight pain when exposed to bright lights for the first three to five days after surgery. Wearing sunglasses can minimize any discomfort experienced from this side effect.
Contact Teplick Custom Vision Today
To learn more about LASIK, please contact Teplick Custom Vision today.